Roys Cafe on Route 66 Vintage Print
This Motel & Café opened in 1938. In the 1940’s they expanded the business to include an auto repair garage, and an auto court of small cabins for overnight rental by Route 66 travelers. Roy’s Motel and Café became the town’s only business besides a post office to continue to attract visitors long after Amboy’s overall decline. A 2013 campaign proposed to restore the Roy’s neon signage, the motel is now closed, though it has been used as a staging ground for art exhibits.
The entire town if Amboy – including the mostly defunct Roy’s complex – is owned by and under the stewardship of a private preservationist.
This magnificent piece by photographer Martin Garfinkel would just be a delightful addition to any room or business décor.